Things To Do
Things to do around Iron Amethyst Inn are endless. Guests enjoy exploring nearby Spring Green, just 14 minutes away, home to the American Players Theater, the Wisconsin Artists Showcase, the House on the Rock, and world famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s Wisconsin home, Taliesin, as well as Hillside Studio and School, Unity Chapel, Midway Farm, Romeo and Juliet Windmill, and the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor’s Center.
During your stay be sure to experience: Local Dining – Hiking and Nature – Winter Activities – Biking – Breweries – Wineries – Cheese – Orchards, Farm Product – Artisans and Antiques – Entertainment and Tours – Shopping – Nearby Cities – Mazomanie Hometown Attractions
- Overture Center for the Arts| Madison – Numerous events at the area’s premier performing arts center and gallery
- The Uplands of Southwest Wisconsin – Travel Guide for Mazomanie, Spring Green, Mt. Horeb, Dodgeville, Mineral Point, Highland and New Glarus
- Madison Visitors Events Calendar
- Madison Isthmus – The Daily Page
- University of Wisconsin Events Calendar
- The Old Feed Mill Restaurant (2 Minutes) Enjoy the rustic elegance of their main dining room with good Midwestern food.
- Sunny Celebrations, LLC Custom Decorating for Cakes, Cupcakes, Cookies, & More!
- Wall Street Gallery and Bistro (1 Minute) Bistro style dining with homemade pastas and pizza.
- Green Acres (8 Minutes) The place for steaks and so much more.
- Rookies Sports Bar (2 Minutes) All-American menu, daily specials, homemade, soups, and a fresh fish fry every Friday.
- Cress Spring Bakery (18 minutes) Blue Mounds: A unique setting for pizza on Wednesday evenings May thru October!
- Apothecary & Mercantile An Old Fashioned Ice Cream Shop with Bistro.
- Madison Magazine Dining Guide (440 eateries in Madison!)
Hiking and Nature
- The Black Earth Creek – World renowned Trout Stream (on the north side of the B&B) You can canoe, kayak or tube 4 miles to the Wisconsin river right from our yard.
- Wolf Run Trail – A 2 mile crushed stone path that winds along the Black Earth Creek. Available for Cross Country Skiing and Snowmobiling! (5 minute walk)
- Black Earth Angling Fishing Guide – Have an expert take you out on the Wisconsin River or Black Earth Creek!
- Walking Iron County Park – Walk the large restored prairies and wooded hills along Marsh Creek. (1 minute)
- Governor Dodge State Park (30 Minutes)
- Devils Lake State Park (30 Minutes)
- Tower Hill State Park (15 Minutes)
- New Glarus Woods State Park (32 Minutes)
- Blue Mound State Park (15 Minutes)
- Mirror Lake State Park (38 Minutes)
- Natural Bridge State Park (26 Minutes)
- Parfrey’s Glen State Natural Area (32 Minutes)
- International Crane Foundation (40 Minutes)
- Eagle Viewing -Wisconsin River-Sauk City/Prairie du Sac (January) (12 Minutes)
Winter Sports Activities
- Tyrol Basin Ski Area Mount Horeb (12 Minutes)
- Cascade Mountain Portage (50 Minutes)
- Devils Head Resort Merrimac (34 Minutes)
- Christmas Mountain Village Resort Wisconsin Dells (45 Minutes)
- Walking Iron County Park (1 Minute)
- Indian Lake Park (4 Minutes)
- Blackhawk Ridge (4 Minutes)
- Also at Most Wisconsin State Parks in the area
- 400 State Bike Trail
- Military Ridge State Bike Trail
- Mirror Lake State Park 6 miles of trails
- Governor Dodge State Park 10.2 miles of trails
- Devils Lake State Park 8 miles of trails
- Blue Mound State Park 6 miles of trails
- Devils Head Resort (34 Minutes)
Breweries, Wineries, Cheese, & Orchards
- Capital Brewery in Middleton (25 minutes)
- New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus (42 minutes)
- The Grumpy Troll Brewery in Mount Horeb (12 Minutes)
- Vintage Brewing Company in Madison (35 Minutes)
- Great Dane Pub and Brewery in Madison, Hilldale Shopping Center (39 Minutes)
- Granite City Food & Brewery in Madison, West Towne (30 Minutes)
- Lake Louie Brewing in Arena (12 Minutes)
- Tyranena Brewing Company in Lake Mills (67 Minutes)
- Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison, 2nd Saturday of August (35 Minutes)
- Wisconsin Craft Brew Tour Map – Free (pdf)
- Wollersheim Winery Prairie du Sac (7 Minutes)
- Botham Winery in Barneveld (27 Minutes)
- Spurgeon Vineyards and Winery in Highland (45 Minutes)
- Weggy Winery near Muscoda (40 Minutes)
- Bauer-Kearns Winery near Platteville (50 Minutes)
- New Glarus Primrose Winery near New Glarus (42 Minutes)
- Fisher King Winery near Mount Horeb (19 Minutes)
- Fawn Creek Winery near Wisconsin Dells (50 Minutes)
- Wisconsin Winery Tour Book – (Free)
- Ski Hi Fruit Farm, Inc. Apple Orchard near Baraboo (25 Minutes)
- Oakwood Fruit Farm Apple Orchard near Richland Center (45 Minutes)
- Epplegaarden Orchard near Fitchburg (42 Minutes)
- Schroeder’s Orchard near Verona (38 Minutes)
- Arena Cheese Factory in Arena (10 Minutes)
- Cedar Grove Cheese in Plain (27 Minutes)
- The Cheese Maker in Plain (27 Minutes)
- Uplands Cheese in Dodgeville (35 Minutes)
- Otter Creek Organic Farm in Avoca (45 Minutes)
- Carr Valley Cheese In Mazomanie (2 Minutes)
- Schurman’s Wisconsin Cheese Country in Dodgeville (20 Minutes)
- Babcock Hall Dairy Plant & Store on the UW Madison Campus (35 Minutes)
Farm Produce Markets
- Peck’s Farm Market near Spring Green (13 Minutes)
- Dane County Farmer’s Market Madison Capital Square (300 vendors Summer-Fall)
Artisans & Antiques
- Spring Green Area
- Spring Green Art Fair (June)
- Madison Area – South
- Mount Horeb Area
- Mount Horeb Spring Art Tour (June)
- Mineral Point Area
- Paoli Artisans
- Driftless Film Festival (October)
- Wildwood Woodworks
- Tamly Akins Fine Art Studio
- Beauty Beyond the Bark
- Hembrough Gallery
- Mary Bauschelt c/o Iron Horse Gallery
- Susan Liimatta – Quilter
Entertainment & Tours
- The House on the Rock – Wisconsin’s #1 Tourist Attraction, near Spring Green (20 Minutes)
- American Players Theater near Spring Green (14 Minutes)
- The Wisconsin River – One of America’s most popular canoeing rivers (6 Minutes)
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin near Spring Green (15 Minutes)
- Cave of the Mounds near Blue Mounds (15 Minutes)
- Little Norway near Blue Mounds (15 Minutes)
- Aldo Leopold Foundation near Baraboo (38 Minutes)
- Baraboo Circus World Museum original winter quarters of Ringling Bros. (25 Minutes)
- The Shoe Box in Black Earth (4 Minutes) One of the country’s largest independent shoe retailers.
- Apothecary & Mercantile
- 2nd Chapter Resale
- Greenway Station in Middleton (20 Minutes) White House | Black Market, C.J. Banks, Orvis, DSW, Coldwater Creek, Starbucks
- West Towne Mall in Madison (24 Minutes) Boston Store, Abercrombie & Fitch, Dicks’ Sporting Goods, Williams-Sonoma, Ann Taylor, Apple Store, Trade Secret, Aveda
- Monroe Street Shopping in Madison (34 Minutes) Locally owned shops and food, plus Trader Joe’s, near Camp Randall Stadium.
- State Street-Downtown in Madison (38 Minutes) Boutiques, local stores and food plus museums along with the state Capitol.
- Hilldale Shopping Center in Madison (32 Minutes) Macy’s, Sundance Theatre, The North Face, Whole Foods, and dining.
- Tanger Outlet Mall near Wisconsin Dells (45 Minutes) Coldwater Creek Outlet, Polo Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, J. Crew, Bass, Nike Factory Store, Tommy Hilfiger, Leggs-Hanes-Bali-Playtex, Gap Outlet, Eddie Bauer Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn, and many more.
- Johnson Creek Premium Outlets between Madison and Milwaukee (75 Minutes) Adidas, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Carter’s, Coach, Eddie Bauer, Gap Outlet, Gymboree Outlet, Jones New York, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Under Armour and many more.
- Costco in Middleton – Membership Req (15 Minutes)
- Spring Green (14 Minutes) Frank Lloyd Wright Historic Sites Taliesin, Hillside School, Midway Farm, Unity Chapel, Romeo & Juliet Windmill Loving Frank Tour Taliesin Tour Hillside Studio and Theater Tour Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor’s Center
- Spring Green Annual Spring Arts Fair (June)
- Madison (35 Minutes) Wisconsin State Capitol University of Wisconsin Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
- Wisconsin Dells (45 Minutes) Ho-Chunk Gaming – Casino
- Baraboo (20 Minutes) Circus World Museum Original winter quarters of Ringling Bros. Circus
- Mount Horeb (12 Minutes)
- Mineral Point (40 Minutes)
- Sauk City-Prarie du Sac (12 Minutes)